Friday, November 28, 2008

Exercise 8 - SNS

Now, I'm pretty familiar already with social networking sites. I have both a Facebook and a MySpace account. Admittedly, I don't check them as much as I did when I first signed up. They can become kind of time consuming. There's all sorts of places to put information about yourself. You have to keep updating your favorites, you profile photo, your blog, etc. It can get tiring! I do, however, check both of them occasionally just to keep up. SNS's have gotten a lot of flack in some of my classes for being too impersonal. You can have 200 friends on Facebook, but honestly, how many of them are actually your friends? On the positive side, I do think they are handy for people with out of state friends. A lot of my theatre friends moved to New York after graduation and honestly, these sites make it easier for me to keep up with what they're doing. I guess there's ups and downs to everything.

I decided to sign up for a Shelfari account to see if it will help me expand my reading list. The jury is still out on this site...

I think it's a really great idea that libraries have begun to incorporate aspects of Web 2.0, such as MySpace into their libraries. While they require extra effort to keep updated, I feel that they're a great way to reach out to the younger populations who are incredibly adept at these technologies.

No comments: